Our Book Week activities culminated with a wonderful celebration of literature on Friday 26 August. Pre-Kindergarten to Year 2 children looked amazing in their costumes and they all enjoyed participating in the Book Parade. Girls in Years 3 to 6 also enjoyed dressing up as book characters and were entertained by the Jazz Band’s lunchtime playground concert, conducted by Mr Cassar dressed as Willy Wonka.
The Book Fair, organised by Mrs Evans, Mrs Pascale and Mrs Whitford, enabled parents and students to purchase quality literature, and the girls also enjoyed the author visits throughout the week. We are grateful for the efforts of the Year 6 Library Team who helped organise Book Week.
National Science Week
The Year 6 STEM Team and Mrs Betbeder led some very interesting lunchtime activities for National Science Week in Week 4 to investigate the theme of “Glass: More than Meets the Eye”.
- Kindergarten explored refraction of light by observing sunlight passing through glass and water to create a rainbow and saw that images were reversed when they looked at them through the glass and the water.
- Year 1 students used magnifying glasses to explore their new playground and attached magnifying glasses to iPads to take photos of their observations.
- Year 2 students made stained glass windows and observed how the world looked different through the coloured cellophane.
- Years 3 and 4 students painted transparent containers and shone a light through them to see the light change colour through the newly coloured surfaces.
- Years 5 and 6 students observed that pyrex glass has the same refractive index as vegetable oil and used that knowledge to see fingerprints to help them solve a mystery.
We congratulate the following teams who competed in the RoboCup Junior Primary Rescue this year.
Year 6: Saanvi Naanda, Andria Poon, Valentyna Rosa
Year 6: Katherine Kljajic, Victoria Lyu, Amala Thillainadesan – Awarded Second Place
Year 5: Lucinda Buckley, Isabella Lu, Amelia Wong – Awarded Third Place
Father’s Day Breakfast
Thank you for your support of the Father’s Day Breakfast that was superbly organised by Mrs Val Ko, JSA President, and the JSA Committee: Mrs Julia Lee, Mrs Kate Lam and Ms Jenny Liu.
We are very grateful to those parents who arrived very early in the morning to set up and cook the delicious food. Thank you to Dr John Banh and Mrs Anna Banh for donating bread rolls and Mr Gan He and Ms Sylvia Kim for donating two gifts. We wish all the fathers, grandfathers and special people in the girls’ lives a happy Father’s Day.